Oh my lanta, happy #nbnappleweek, y'all!! I am so stinking excited that it's finally here! We've been planning and ordering and baking our hearts out for the past month to create an amazing launch week for our new granola flavor, An Apple a Day! I have created five stellar apple+granola recipes that I'm going to share with you this week. A new recipe every day!! So let's get things started with one of my favorites (I've already made this recipe twice!)!!
These are the perfect sweet breakfast addition or quick + easy snack! They're packed with beautiful greens from fresh-grated zucchini to diced granny smith apples. I also used whole wheat flour. So throw out your heavily refined and processed white flour and give whole wheat a try! Or at least try substituting half of the white flour for whole wheat - it's a great start! When baking with whole wheat, you can expect a heavier, denser final product. With these muffins, though, that's not the case! I was pleasantly surprised!
Now that it's apple season, use fresh-picked apples from a nearby orchard! Apples grow in most every state so do a quick google search to find an apple orchard near you. It would make for a fun day with the family!! While granny smith apples are wonderful in this recipe, you can truly use any variety! So go ahead and use your favorite! Let me know how it turns out :)
Granola in my muffins? Really? Yes, really! You won't be disappointed! Our granola is packed with heart-healthy oats, nuts, and sunflower seeds. The oats add a beautiful texture and the nuts add tons of flavor and a dose of healthy nutrients! This is a sweet, wholesome, filling muffin (or loaf!) that is sure to please all!
Zucchini + Granola Muffins (or Bread!)
(makes 14-15 muffins OR 12 muffins + 1 small loaf of bread)
1/2 cup sunflower oil*
2 tsp vanilla extract*
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar*
1 cup grated zucchini
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon*
1 cup diced granny smith apples
1 cup Goin' Nuts granola
*I use organic ingredients whenever possible. For this recipe, I used the following organic ingredients: sunflower oil, vanilla extract, brown sugar, ground cinnamon.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease muffin pan (or bread loaf) or use liners.
2. Combine all dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Sift to prevent clumps from baking soda/powder (no one wants a big ol' bite of baking soda in their muffin!).
3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, oil, vanilla extract, white sugar, and brown sugar to combine. Then add zucchini. Set aside.
4. Add wet ingredients to the dry and stir gently to combine.
5. Toss diced apples in a little flour. This will keep them from sinking to the bottom of your muffins!
6. Add apples and granola to muffin mixture and stir just until combined.
7. Divide evenly into muffin tins or loaf pan. Top with some extra granola if you'd like! It adds a beautiful touch! :)
8. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick/knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
You can buy our Goin' Nuts granola or our new An Apple a Day flavor here!
For more: Website | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter