Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Whole Wheat Banana Granola Muffins + a Vegan Alternative

Making food to share with the people you love makes life so sweet! I love cooking! I love cooking for others even more! I think it's one of my favorite ways to show people that I care. It's one of my tokens of love I give to others. :) I first made these bad boys about a month ago, surrounded by family and celebrating the life of a very special grandpa. Life is so sweet. Everyone loved the muffins, so I knew I had to make these again to share with you! 
 
This time, I made several tweaks and twerks to the recipe, though! You can find the original recipe here. I created two variations to this recipe. The first one is a no-egg recipe. I created this one, quite honestly, because I was out of eggs!! So if you have eggs and would like to use them, use 2 eggs rather than the mashed banana substitute! If you don't have any eggs on hand, well then you're in luck!


The second recipe is a vegan recipe - no egg, no butter (there is honey in our granola, however). I wanted to create this recipe because there is a growing number of people who are looking for vegan alternatives or dairy-free/meat-free options. So here's to all of you- an egg-free, dairy-free muffin that is out of this world! 

I've read before about great egg substitutes when baking. So I knew that bananas were perfect and that was just great since I was making banana muffins! I just did a little research to find out the amount to substitute per egg. Several other great egg substitutes are applesauce and flax seeds! Now butter substitutes were a new arena for me! So I did a little more research and found out that avocados are a great alternative to butter - they lower the calorie content and create a softer, chewier baked good (although it made the muffins a tad green). Good thing I had an avocado sitting in the fridge! 
 
((If you look at the photo below, you'll notice that the two muffins on the left have a slight green tint. These are the ones with avocado.))
 
 
As for the taste comparison, here goes: the vegan muffins have a creamier, buttery flavor and are very moist - all due to the avocado I'm sure! The regular muffins are sweeter with a nutty flavor, but they're not quite as moist. They're both amazingly delicious, so give them both a shot and see what you think! You can always cut the recipes in half and make 6 muffins rather than a dozen!
 
 
 
When baking, don't feel trapped by the recipe! If you don't do dairy, google can be your best friend. Search for alternatives. If you don't have a specific ingredient on hand, don't freak and run to the store! Search for alternatives. It's amazing what you'll find. Plus it always feels great to get a little creative when baking/cooking - it's like creating your own little artistic masterpiece .. that you can eat!
 
Whole Wheat Banana Granola Muffins (with egg substitute)
(makes 12 muffins)

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
3 tbsp organic maple syrup
1 banana (1/2 cup), mashed (this is your 2 egg substitute)
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup Goin' Nuts granola

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease muffins tins or use muffin liners.
2.Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add melted butter, syrup, and 1 mashed banana. Mix until just combined.
3. Fold in the remaining 2 bananas and the granola.
4. Distribute evenly into 12 muffin cups.
5. Top with a sprinkle of granola, if you desire!
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Whole Wheat Banana Granola Muffins (vegan)
(makes 12 muffins)

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup mashed avocado- half of an avocado (this is your butter substitute)
1 banana (1/2 cup), mashed (this is your 2 egg substitute)
4 tbsp organic maple syrup
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup Goin' Nuts granola

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease muffins tins or use muffin liners.
2.Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add mashed avocado, syrup, and 1 mashed banana. Mix until just combined.
3. Fold in the remaining 2 bananas and the granola.
4. Distribute evenly into 12 muffin cups.
5. Top with a sprinkle of granola, if you desire!
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Do you love bananas just as much as I do? Check out our Banana Nut Chocolate Oatmeal or our Strawberry Banana Smoothie


For more: Website | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're happy you stopped by! Thank you for your chatting with us. Love and hugs <3