Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Nothin' but Nola Recipe: a healthier Sweet Potato Casserole with Granola Topping



 It's November and that means one thing for all of us foodies! Thanksgiving!!!! Oh my heavens, how I do love this holiday! I love cooking (in case that isn't obvious), so it's no wonder that a holiday involving hours upon hours of cooking, dozens of dishes, and eating 'til your hearts content (and your belly full) would be so near and dear to my heart!


Now if we're all being honest, we each really look forward to the terrible, horrible, super-bad-for-you-but-oh-my-gosh-it-tastes-so-good dishes!! Me too (says sheepishly!). But I am truly on a journey to living a healthier life, and that includes the foods I am putting into my body. So this month, I'm striving to recreate healthier versions of several Thanksgiving classics with a dose of Nothin' but Nola granola, of course! First up, Sweet Potato Casserole! Oh yeah!





a healthier Sweet Potato Casserole with Granola Topping
(one 7x10" casserole dish, or dish of similar size)

Ingredients
2 large sweet potatoes
1/4 cup organic unrefined coconut oil
1 banana
2 tbsp organic maple syrup
1/2 tbsp organic vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp organic ground cinnamon
2 tbsp organic brown sugar
1 cup Goin' Nuts granola (for topping)

*I list the exact ingredients that I use when creating these recipes. I strive to use organic when possible, so please adjust your recipe accordingly using all organic ingredients or what you're able to!

Cook it! Mash it! Bake it!
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Peel sweet potatoes. Add potatoes to boiling water and boil for 30-45 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender (they should almost fall apart when poked with a fork). Remove from water.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Place potatoes in a large bowl and mash. (I used a potato masher, but use whatever method you prefer! Just mash 'em!)
4. Add coconut oil (It's OK if it is hardened. the warmth from the potatoes will melt it.), mashed banana, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and sugar. Use an electric hand mixer, mix until smooth.
5. Pour into casserole dish.
6. Sprinkle granola evenly over the top.
7. Bake for 15-20 mintutes.
8. Enjoy!


You can buy our fresh + healthy, organic-based granola here


xoxo Lauren

For more: Website | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter   



No comments:

Post a Comment

We're happy you stopped by! Thank you for your chatting with us. Love and hugs <3