I had my first taste of sweet, delicious chocolate on my very first Easter. I was three months old. My sweet-tooth-loving grandmother couldn't wait any longer. Bless her heart, that Easter afternoon she passed along her very strong sweet tooth to her third granddaughter. Yes, it's true. I have a slight obsession with everything chocolate. And sweets in general.
I'm also a popcorn fan. It's typical to find me snacking on a bowl of fresh, stove-top popped popcorn most every afternoon. Salted. It's the best. So why not combine my two loves and create a sweet and salty delight. I thought it was a great idea. The finished result, though, is even better than I imagined.
Ladies and gentleman, I give you Salted Chocolate Popcorn with Granola. Stove-top popped deliciousness. You can of course make this using microwave popped popcorn. I promise you, though, that if you try this ... you'll never go back to microwave-popped popcorn ever again. Ever. It's that good.
If you have kiddos around, they're going to LOVE this. They'll stand over the pot waiting ... patiently ... for that first pop. It's the most amazing thing. Beware - they're going to start asking you for this every day. Every. Single. Day. But its OK. You'll want it every day, too!
Salted Chocolate Popcorn with Granola
(serves a crowd; makes one large bowl)
3/4 cup popcorn kernels
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp sunflower oil
salt, to taste
1/2 cup chocolate
1-2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup Goin' Nuts granola
1. Add kernels to a large pot. They should completely cover the bottom of the pot.
2. Top with sunflower oil. The oil should barely cover all kernels.
3. Place over medium heat. It will take a few minutes before you hear the first few pops. Once the kernels begin popping, you will have 45seconds - 2min before the popcorn is ready. When the popping starts to slow and there's more time in between each pop, you're almost done. Once the pops are 5-10s apart, you can remove from the stove and dump into your bowl.* Make sure not to wait too long or your popcorn will start to burn.
4. Melt chocolate and coconut oil over a double boiler or in your microwave (heat for 10 seconds at a time, stirring in between).
5. Drizzle chocolate over popcorn and top with salt (sea salt or kosher salt is best) and granola.
6. Now dig in! You won't be able to stop!!
*Be very careful! Some kernels like to pop once they're in the bowl and can send popcorn flying out of the bowl!
Share a photo on Instagram of you enjoying your popcorn and use #nbnrecipe!!
If you're a granola fan like us, you can shop for our super delicious and hunger-fighting granola here!
Use code BLOG10 for 10% off your order! Because we love our blog readers!!